Monday, June 7, 2010

Growing!! - Challenge Day 7

They're growing!! My plants that is (ofcourse the kids are too, but that's not what this post is about).  This year is the first time that I have taken charge of the collection of pot plants on our patio.  It used to be the man of the house's duty, but he's got too much on his plate right now.  So I am officially the "plant-looker-afterer". 

I got inspired a few months ago to plant strawberries in a hanging basket (out of the destructive reach of my little guy) and am I SOOOO excited that I have just today seen my very first strawberry beginning to grow.  The big girl already has dibs on eating the first ripe one, but I'm just so thrilled to have got one to grow at all I don't care if I have to wait until the second one to taste it.


The flowers on the strawberry are pretty too:

These beautiful arum lillies (my very favourite flowers) have been with us since soon after we moved to the US.  Each year we think we have killed them through sheer neglect, and yet each spring they come back.  I love them!



The herbs were a birthday gift to Daddy from the kids, and are doing well.  We recently had to replant them from the little starter container they came in, to some slightly bigger pots.  The chives took a beating from a boy with a spade (we're hoping they'll perk up again, but not holding our breath), but the basil & parsley are doing ok so far.   Although it looks as though we could have used a few more parsley seeds, lol.



And finally, the sunflower that my big girl planted in class.  It has also suffered at the hands of the little guy - he tore the leaves, and likes to dig in the pot.  But it's growing taller by the day.  Soon it will overtake the littlest I think.  The big girl wants to measure it, so we can tell how much it grows over the summer.  We will definitely do that!

Anyway, those are my plants, and I'm just so happy to see them growing :) 









And I've made a week of the 30 days, 30 posts challenge over at Peanuts Are Evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment