Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King, Jr Day

Well the kids were both off school today for the holiday, and our plans for a playdate with friends fell through (feel better soon - all of you!!) so we were home all day today.  We did a lot of the usual chores, laundry, dishes, etc but the kids also needed to be entertained so I tried to do a couple of MLK Day things with them.

First we did a colouring page - just printed off the internet.  To change it up a little I had the kids paint it with watercolours, instead of just using crayons and/or markers.  They both enjoyed the change!  Sometimes the smallest change to a common activity can make it *new & exciting* again.  I was impressed with how much Little Mr concentrated and tried to get his picture 'just right' (and that he didn't wet the paper so much that he made a hole!)

The little blurb on the colouring page telling us about Dr Martin Luther King, Jr led to an interesting discussion with my big girl about equality, people's rights and why oh why people want to be mean in the first place??!  We talked a bit about the famous "I have a dream" speech and then decided to make a poster about our dreams.  We got a big piece of paper and I put "I have a dream" on the top.

I forgot to take a photo, but here are our dreams.  I started by saying I have a dream "that no-one would ever go hungry".  The little guy didn't get it at all (he's 3) he dreams (apparently) about "the moon" and "chugga chugga choo choo trains".  Gotta love him!  The big girl understood the project better - her dreams were "that everybody would be nice to everyone", "to do things that no-one else has done" and "that everybody could have friends".  What a sweet girl she is!


No comments:

Post a Comment