Tuesday, August 24, 2010

When life (or friends) gives you lemons.....

Make Lemonade, Lemon Sorbet and Lemon Meringue Pie

Not so long ago we went to a friend's house for a bbq.  It was a lovely late afternoon and evening - grown up conversation, kids playing in the yard (and the little guy coming too close to a cactus more than once, lol) and just general relaxation.  My kids aren't known for keeping out of mischief though, and it wasn't long before they'd denuded this poor friend's lemon tree!  She very graciously let them bring all "their" lemons home.  They were soooo happy & proud of their harvest.

Ofcourse the big girl woke up first thing the next morning and started asking to make lemonade.  She asked and asked and asked and asked and asked, until finally I was ready (or I was just tired of hearing her ask).

I had to look up the recipe for lemonade, having never made it before - and what I found online seemed to be that the best recipe is this:

Lemonade
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup of lemon juice

* You heat the water in a pot and stir in the sugar until it dissolves.  Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice, and viola you have a wonderful lemonade concentrate. 

* You need to add quite a bit of water to dilute it before you actually drink it, but it's delicious :)

So our first step was to juice the lemons.  We only have a very low-tech old fashioned juicer, but it worked.  The kids tried hard to get some juice out, but in all honesty I did most of the real work.

Then we dissolved the sugar in the water - the little guy was FAR more interested in checking out his reflection in my shiny new pots than doing any stirring....

I meant to get pictures of the kids drinking their delicious homemade lemonade, but somehow it all got drunk before I did!

To make the Lemon Sorbet I just poured some of the lemonade concentrate into ice cube trays and froze it.  I put it in the blender when we were ready to eat it.  It turns out that it is pretty soft when frozen and gets quite runny when blended.  It was a nicer consistancy when we just put the lemonade ice cubes in a bowl & ate them.
 
That said, this lemon sorbet was VERY tart - too sour for the kids, or even for my husband.  I love sour stuff and thought it was delicious!  I'm sure there's a way to remedy that -more sugar maybe, or more water??

As for the Lemon Meringue Pie - we haven't made that yet, it's on the menu for dessert on Friday night.  I'll let you know how it turns out!!


Linking up here:

No comments:

Post a Comment